Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Diary of a Farmer’s Wife 1796-1797 by Anne Hughes


While rootling around a most suspicious looking alley I came across a derelict book shop which could only be owned by a serious book lover. In it there was, amongst many unusual offerings, The Diary of a Farmer’s Wife 1796-1797. What a gem indeed – it was first published in 1937 by The Farmers Weekly.

It records the daily life of Anne Hughes; it is “her boke in wiche I write what I doe, when I hav thee tyme, and beginnen wyth this daye, Feb ye 6 1796”. It is absolutely crammed with interesting and humorous anecdotes about her life on the farm, with many very dry and piquant observations about her friends. The cider making is perhaps my favourite because, mine being a Somerset family, her comment rings true:

                              “Sept ye 15....We hav made much cider these 2 dayes, and John cum in to say old Joe had got a bellie ake with too much drinkeing of the newe jouice. But I pittie him not, he being a greedie olde man who do want all.”

And throughout the book, mingling with the daily entries, are the most delightful illustrations by Brian Walker. This book (I found the penguin version of 1988) is the best possible use of a small amount of money. It’s so unfortunate that Anne Hughes is no longer with us to reap her rightful accolades.


_


You can also read this short story at the Western Gazette website. Click here to follow me and be the first to know when I publish my next article, short story or book review. 
_



Follow P J Cadavori:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...